Thank you for your interest in submitting the two applications for review by the Colorado Seed Growers Association (CSGA) Industrial Hemp Seed Variety Review Committee and the second application for entry into the Colorado Department of Agriculture (CDA) THC evaluation trials.
Submission of these two applications with appropriate fees and approval by the review and successful THC evaluations will allow the variety into seed certification and be labeled by CSGA as a CDA Approved Certified class of seed.
The following information provided below may be useful to you as an applicant or seed grower.
CDA Approved Certified Industrial Hemp Seed Process Summarized:
a. Submit application to CSGA for the seed variety to be entered into the CSGA I-H CDA Approved Certified program.
b. Submit application to CDA for the seed variety to be entered into the CDA I-H THC evaluation statewide trial.
c. Submit field application for field inspection to be performed by CSGA inspector.
d. Submit a representative clean field inspected seed sample to the Colorado Seed Lab for germination and purity evaluation.
e. If the seed variety passes all criteria of the THC evaluation process along with the field/seed certification standards have been met, seed tags for the appropriate seed class can be issued by CSGA/CDA.
1. Step One -The one-time seed variety application submitted to CSGA will be reviewed by the CSGA Seed Variety Review Committee. If approved, the seed variety can be conditionally accepted into the CDA Approved seed certification program. The CDA application will provide entry into the CDA statewide THC seed variety evaluation trials. You are also reminded that the CDA will require all industrial hemp growers to be registered annually with the State of Colorado. Completion and submission of both documents is crucial for the approval process. If CSGA or the CDA has any questions in regards to your application, you will be contacted directly.
2. Step Two -The CSGA Industrial Hemp Seed Variety application will be reviewed by the CSGA Review Committee. If approved, then the seed variety will be accepted “conditionally” into the CDA Approved seed certification program and become eligible for CSGA field inspections. In this same timeframe the CDA application will allow the seed variety to be entered into the CDA Industrial Hemp THC evaluation trial. This CDA industrial hemp trial will evaluate the anticipated level of THC for each submitted seed variety. The actual seed production fields will be inspected by CSGA. CDA will collect plant samples and evaluate for THC compliance in all locations for the seed variety. The plant sample evaluation of this trial will help CDA determine if the seed variety can be fully accepted by CSGA and CDA as a CDA approved certified seed variety of industrial hemp.
3. Step Three- The next step for the applicant or grower will be to complete a CSGA Field Application. The “Field Application” will be completed for the seed variety and submitted with the appropriate fees to CSGA. CSGA office will schedule the field inspections to be completed. There will be at least two field inspections during the growing season. Once the field has passed the field inspection process, the grower will be notified of the progress.
4. Step Four- The Industrial Hemp seed field should be harvested at maturity and a representative sample of the conditioned (cleaned) seed is analyzed for purity and germination by the Colorado Seed Lab (CSL). If the sample has passed the established minimum seed standards, the field inspected seed may be eligible for labeling as a class of certified seed.
5. Step Five - If the seed variety approved by the CSGA review committee and conditionally accepted into CDA Approved seed certification along with the same variety having passed the statewide CDA THC evaluation may become eligible to be labeled as a CDA Approved Certified Industrial Hemp seed variety by CSGA and CDA.
Please Call or Email Terry Morgan - Hemp Seed Certification Program Director -Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: